"Work expands to fill the time available for its completion"
- If you dedicate a month task that can be perfectly done in 3 days, it will perfectly fit to the month without you feeling that there is a lot of free/wasted time
- Actually more than 90% of our tasks can be done in much less time. The wasted time mainly because of:
- Using a lot of time to load the context to get in the work zone again
If you have a project/task that you expect it will take a long time, use the counterfactual simulation concept:
- Stress yourself in a time less than the reasonable time range for it
- Figure out ways, shortcuts through it
- Delegate and split the work between your team members
For example, meetings usually in most companies take an hour no matter what … and a lot of times it can fit in 20 minutes or less. Imagine you have only 15 minutes to conduct that meeting … how would you act and be serious and focused in what you gathered for?
There is a great quote by IKEA founder:
"If you split your day into 10 minutes increments (144 parts) and try to waste as few as possible, you will be amazed of what you can get done in a day-period"